This session of inspiring conferences and a round table seeks to present the individual experiences of international experts with different professional profiles (designers, artists, engineers, etc.) on the theme of developing new materials from waste, agriculture and living organisms.
The conferences will be followed by a debate on this theme, with interaction between the experts, the public and the moderator. The guest experts are: Laia Mogas-Soldevila, Diana Scherer, Sanne Visser, Camilo Alaya, Saúl Baeza and Pol Merino.
Apart from this session, The Materials Farm Programme organizes other activities during the FADfest, such as a workshop for encouraging active and voluntary participation in creating and/or evaluating materials from personal and intimate tourist activities and, finally, an exhibition in the foyer of theDisseny Hub Barcelona.
– Laia Mogas-Soldevila will present “Functional Material Architectures” (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA). Degree in Architecture. Doctoral student at Silk Lab in Tufts Biomedical Engineering. Researcher at MIT Media Lab Mediated Matter Group, at MIT SUTD Robotics Lab, at MIT Material Science Dept. Ortiz Lab of Structural Materials and atUPC CODA Group withProf.Sastre. Specialized in parametric architecture.
– Diana Scherer will present “Interwoven, Exercises in Rootsystem Domestication” (Amsterdam, NL). New Material Award Fellow 2016. An artist and graduate in Fine Arts and Photography from theGerritRietveld Academy.
– SanneVisser will present “The New Age of Trichology” (London, UK). Researcher in materials, designer and maker. MA in Material Futures, Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts – London, UK. BA in Lifestyle & Design, Willem de Kooning Academy – Rotterdam, NL, Phoenix High School – Phoenix (OR), USA.
– Camilo Ayala will present “DIY Materials” (Milan, IT). Holds a doctoratein the theme of Do-It-Yourself materialsas triggers of change at Politecnico di Milano. A graduate in Industrial Design and Textile Design from the University of Los Andes, Bogotá. Master in Design Arts fromDomus Academy (the University of Wales Accredited School of Design) in Milan.
– Saúl Baeza will present “Substantial Self” (Barcelona, ES). Creative director of DOES studio and curator of DEMO “Understanding Design Festival”, a graduate in Product Design from Elisava, Barcelona’s School of Design and Engineering.
– Pol Merino will present “Biprocel” (Barcelona, IT). Responsible for the industrialization of Biprocel SL, a start-up in industrial biotechnology. A graduate in Biotechnology from Barcelona’s Autonomous University.